Infographics have cropped up in the past few years to be deeply relevant and akin to the mass communication. Their extended word owes to information graphics, and they are graphical depictions of any kind of data or information. Their vision is to quickly cite part of the knowledge about a particular topic in a lucrative, transparent, and outright manner. Human comprehension is effectively augmented with the benefit of Infographics, and we are susceptible to the vivid ocular competence to analyze different patterns and orientations. Sometimes comparing two things can be a tough task when you are expressing it with mere words. This might lead to misinterpretation and a lot of confusion in the receptor end.
With the aid of infographics, you can methodize parallels and contrasts which balance the idea being conferred. There can be many genres in infographics like data visualization, analytical graphics, information visualization, information architecture, and information layout. Out of these some of the data visualization components include bar graphs, pie charts, funnel charts, line graphs, and pyramid charts. Hierarchical infographics portray the data relevant to unique levels and their connection to each other. Some of the most accepted visualization infographics include pyramid charts.
Brief about the Pyramid Chart
A Pyramid chart is a data visualization and representation tool which has its applications in the case of hierarchical infographics. Funnel charts are often confused with pyramid charts. However, they cannot be used interchangeably. On a technical standpoint, funnel charts are inverted pyramid charts which are used to exemplify the flow of a process. Here the components or events sequentially decline with each section. On the contrary, a pyramid chart is basically a chart which is illustrated in the form of a pyramid or a triangle constituted of different sections which are divided by separate lines.
Each segment illustrates a fixed data point, and the extent of each segment displays the purpose complementary to a marked data point. To isolate and demarcate each segment, borders or distinct boundaries can be added as a configuration. The content corresponding to each segment is demonstrated adjacent to it on the pyramid chart. Every section contains a unique set of ideas, and the width of each section varies too. This variation in width bespeaks the grade of hierarchy amidst the ideas. Like for instance, the widest section would incorporate a generalized topic, and the scantiest section would be composed of a more definitive topic within that generalized subject of matter.
The hierarchy level is expressed in some kind of dynamic order as listed below;
- Nadir to Zenith: Least of items make their way to the tip and majority of them are accommodated at the base of the pyramid chart. For instance, in a food pyramid, the foods which are detrimental to your health (less eaten) can be at the top, and the food items which you should include into your daily metabolic diet (eaten more often) are kept in the largest segment.
- Paramount to Trivial: CEO or CTO of a tech firm is at the tip, and the temporary subordinates are included in the bottom.
- Old to New: Your great-grandparents are considered to be the topmost section of the pyramid while your great grandchildren make their way to the base.
- Explicit to Ambiguous: Experts from a distinguished field is at the tip while individuals working part-time are at the bottom.
Pertinent application of a Pyramid Chart – Maslow’s hierarchy of needs
Best Charts, Graphs, and Diagram Tools
- 10 Best Online Chart Maker of 2023
- 10 Best Microsoft Visio Alternatives 2023
- 10 Best Org Chart Maker of 2023
- 10 Best UML Diagram Tools 2023
- 10 Best Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) Tools 2023
One of the classical depictions of data visualization using hierarchical pyramid chart is the Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, which is quite conducive for incurring an in-depth understanding about human psychology- motivational, managerial, and personal development. The harmonious, analogous, and stratified relationships owing to the Maslow’s hierarchy of needs can be best explained using a pyramid chart. This perpetual model was designed in the 1950s by Abraham Maslow and deals with the obligation of an employer to create a workstation that can inspire the employees and make them realize their true worth. It also interjects various kinds of needs, be it safety, self-esteem, or physiological needs.
Bottom of form
Best processes to inculcate while utilizing a pyramid chart
One common trait in all types of pyramid charts is that there is a progressive order which is to be maintained. You can create 2D or a 3D version of the required pyramid chart with the help of various visualization tools including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Numerous software is available these days which can create visually dynamic representations of these charts. Once your chart is prepared, you can use it to establish business models, sales data, user location, executive ranks, etc.
Here are a few things you need to follow while preparing your model using a Pyramid Chart;
- Come up with a lucrative theme which you want to be utilized for addressing the pyramid and set the name at the topmost portion of the page. Customize the theme in order to highlight the subject matter.
- Next, choose a definitive number of subsections related to your theme. Too many or too few of a number can be detrimental for the output of the diagram.
- Sorting of data is a must. Cluttering will accentuate the ambiguity and disorientation of large and small data sets will only confuse the users all the more.
- Select a consistent form and catalog the subsections based on their pecking order. Arrange them according to your pre-determined list of hierarchy levels.
- Break down the pyramid into multiple sections, each representing a distinct category and then mark all the topics and concepts correlative to each section.
- Snap out each of these segments by clicking on them. Brooding over each segment will eventually let more data surface up.
- Avoid the usage of casual light color shades in your pyramid chart for it will be tough to figure out the text encrypted over these colors.
- Last but not the least, make sure to incorporate enough space and de-clutter every single piece of the word which is irrelevant to your topic.
Now that you are aware of these attributes you can create your own vividly eclectic pyramid chart.